Random Posts

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Ignoring Opening Principles

     I played some guy, let’s call him Butthead, a couple of games recently who ignored opening principles in our two games and as a result lost both games rather quickly. It made me wonder how he got a 1700+ rating on the site.
     In the first game as Black he opened 1.e4 b6 2.d4 Bb7 3.Bd3 d5 4.Nc3 c6 5.Nf3 e6 6.0–0. His setup looks fairly solid but looking at the position you immediately notice he had one piece developed while I have three and have castled.

This lead in development may not sound like much, but when he wasted another move by playing 6…c5 it completely opened up the position and after 7.exd5 Bxd5 8.Nxd5 Qxd5 9.dxc5 Qxc5 10.Be3 Qd5
 
he lasted another 7 moves. He immediately challenged me to another game and played the opening better but still got into trouble by ignoring general opening principles. I call him Butthead because, as I previously posted about guys like him, when mate was couldn't be avoided he set on the position for 5 minutes then disconnected.

No comments:

Post a Comment